Wednesday, September 27

Why aren't there any new "Ask a Ninja" podcasts? This makes me sad...

Well, good morning, all! And when I say "all," I mean "all three of you." That's okay, though, because blogging gives me an excuse to journal, and an excuse to write semi-creatively, awakening long-dormant brain cells that needed some exercise.

Dan was up kinda late last night working on his homework. It's very hard; the chemistry book just dove in and he was expected to understand so much, as if he had just taken another course last semester or something. For being the first chapter of a freshman textbook, it was intense! I read with him and we tried to figure it out together, and we covered how hydrogen and oxygen molecules fit together to form water and how the shape of the molecules fitting together makes them "polar" - having negatively and positively charged ends. Then we covered how that caused hydrogen bonds between water molecules, and how those bonds are responsible for:

surface tension
capillary action
ice expanding
ice floating
water having high melting and boiling points

and THEN we covered the pH scale and how it all has to do with hydrogen molecules splitting off as ions because their electrons are stolen and so they're positively charged, and how bases have too few hydrogen ions and acids have too many and this causes them to react by receiving or giving off hydrogen ions.

NEED I SAY MORE!?!?! The boy has his work cut out for him!!

I feel bad for him because when we finished my brain was TOTALLY full, and this is just the first day! And, worse, the only reason that I was able to understand some of this stuff and explain it to him was because I vaguely remember my junior year chemistry class, whereas he was goofing off and getting stoned his junior year, and has very little recollection of chemistry. His book does not explain concepts very thoroughly.

Anywho, my objective for today is to get well. I slept poorly last night because I was coughing so much, and I don't feel so hot today, but I have a very cool class I'm taking tonight for the first time (more on that later), and I don't want to miss it! So, between now and 7pm, I need to become healthy. Wish me luck!

Signing off for now,
Me

Comments:
I think what you are describing that Dan is going through is EXACTLY like my nightmares about going back to college. I don't think I can stand to read anymore!
As to the cough, I will try to help you with my special serum... Heh heh heh...
XO Mom
 
Thank you, Brian, for the confidence boost and for the hug! Clearly, you love me.
 
Jenni, you crack me up! I was startled to visit Rae Ann's blog and see a link to your's...and Brian's! I didn't even know you guys were blogging! Usually I hear rumor and then I find a link. Your blogs made me laugh aloud! You are a good writer, it brought some enjoyment to my annoying day. And it's good to see pictures of all three of you on here...

Your entry about Chemistry brought good times to mind...I got a kick out of Mrs. Eddy's class, although I didn't retain even half of the information. Hah.
 
and me!. don't forget me! But man....poor dan. As for ask ninja. you should go the website....maybe they have seasons...you know like TV shows. =D (Somehow I don't think I had to explain that)
 
I need to teach you how to do what, Brian? Sorry, I'm confused! I'm glad you are enjoying my entries, Robin - it makes me feel special! :-D
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?